4.10.11

Brunost/Gjetost Fail

I was searching for what to do with the whey left over from making yogurt and found a Norwegian & Swedish cheese and butter made from whey, called Brunost. It is simple to make (you just cook out the water from the sugars and protein in the whey). Well, even with this simple task:  Brunost fail :(

I cooked it ("whey") too long. The milk sugars carmelized very quickly while I was preparing a cooling bath for the cheese.  Part of the fail may be the fact that I had so little whey to start with.  Next time I make cheese, I'll use a gallon of milk and get more whey. It has an interesting flavor though. Sour-salty and a hint of sweetness. I like it and I think this could have interesting applications in a dish down the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.